Monday, August 27, 2007

Blackened Shrimp with Monterey Jack, Corn, and Roasted Red Pepper Risotto

Blackened Shrimp with Monterey Jack, Corn, and Roasted Red Pepper Risotto

Risotto is one of the most versatile dishes on the planet. You could make risotto out of anything and it would probably taste good. There's just something comforting and delicious about creamy rice. I have a couple of all time favorites. I make an awesome Pumpkin Risotto, which I got out of the newspaper, believe it or not, and this Monterey Jack, Corn and Roasted Red Pepper Risotto is another that I make frequently.

I wanted a protein source with this, though. A few weeks ago DBF and I went out to the Burgundy Room, and I had corn dusted scallops over midnight blue risotto with bacon, corn, corn and tomatoes. So thinking along those lines, I thought shrimp would be a nice touch. I had a recipe for Spicy Seasoning that makes a good blackening spice mixture for chicken. It's a bit too spicy for the shrimp, I think. So it could use a little tinkering, but otherwise a spice-rubbed shrimp over the risotto was a good idea. Maybe a cumin/coriander mixture as I used in the risotto itself would have been more appropriate. Or, that could have been too much of a good thing. Hard to say.

I will make this again and keep trying for perfect spice rub. But even if you don't serve it with shrimp. I highly suggest you try this risotto sometime. It's 8 points per cup, but could just as easily pair with a nice salad as a main or some chicken as a side.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so good... damn France and their lack of shrimp! Maybe I'll try it with some kind of white fish or something... at 8 points for something so decadent, I don't think I can resist!

Jen said...

You wouldn't necessarily need to use shrimp. Spice up some seared scallops or serve with roasted chicken or even pork. Here's a cumin-spice pork that might work: http://tinyurl.com/34rtwf.
Or, you could try this chicken without the salsa: http://tinyurl.com/2qp8tk.