Sunday, August 26, 2007

Spicy Hash Browns

Spicy Hash Browns

Ever since I was a child, I've had a love affair with Bob Evans hash browns. If a meal came with french fries, forget it. I subsituted for the hash browns. The burnt ones were the best, and if dinner time, a side of ketchup was in order.

Unfortunately, hash browns aren't always the healthiest. Plus, parboiling and frying in oil is time consuming and labor intensive. The bagged shredded are faster, but still unhealthy. Plus, I always prefered the cubed variety that I ordered at Bob Evans.

Spicy Hash Browns from Cooking Light are my new hash browns of choice. They're roasted, which makes them healthier and much less labor intensive. Just cube them up toss in oil and the seasonings and toss into a hot oven. They still take some time, but I think it's worth it. If you have a weak stomach in the morning, though, they might not be for you. They've got quite a kick to them. But for a weekend brunch with runny eggs and bacon... they're perfect.

No comments: