Thursday, September 25, 2008

Apple-Spinach Chicken

Apple-Spinach Chicken

I love fall. The changing of the leaves, pumpkins, apples, and plenty of warm soups and stews are something I look forward to every year.

Pre-WeightWatchers, fall meant apple turnovers and loaf after loaf of pumpkin bread. While those occasionally appear in my menus, I’m trying to find more healthful ways to incorporate these foods beyond, you know, eating a whole apple as a snack.

I’ve seen those recipes that call for spice cake and can of pumpkin and there are tons of people who swear by pumpkin fluff or baked apples with cinnamon and Splenda. But how do I deal with incorporating these foods in a low calorie/low fat, whole food way? I won’t eat anything with high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils (even if it says it’s trans-fat free) and if it has ingredients I can’t pronounce I try to stay away from it.

Baking is difficult to do in a low-point way, if you expect it to still taste anywhere close to the real deal, so I’ve opted for using typical fall ingredients in savory dishes.

In my most recent attempt I made Apple-Spinach Chicken from Health magazine. What’s good about the dish is that if you use 4 oz. chicken breasts, it’s only 4 points per serving. Low enough that you can add some whole wheat couscous or brown rice, or even a quick pilaf.

The meal overall wasn’t that exciting, though. The sauce was good, but the apples and spinach side dish really didn’t do anything for me. And the chicken was just chicken.

But, that’s not to say I haven’t made a good savory dish with apples or pumpkin. Here’s some of my greatest hits:

What are your favorite pumpkin and apple recipes? I’m always looking for new ones, so send them along!

1 comment:

v said...

pumpkin oatmeal, homemade applesauce, pumpkin/banana bread (can make this really low-pt: I'm vegan and sub in the pumpkin for milk/eggs), baked acorn squash stuffed with lentil/rice pilaf, butternut squash soup, pumpkin/white bean soup... oh, and absolute favorite: sauteed apples (I like to go to the farmers market and pick up a variety of types) sauteed in a mix of orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and a little earth balance (or butter)—an amazing topping for oatmeal, pancakes, yogurt, ice cream, or great on its own (and will make your house smell incredible).