Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Penne Pumpkin Pasta

Penne Pumpkin Pasta

Every Thursday I don't work is a stay-in date night for the boyfriend and I. Because I work two jobs, it's hard to find time for a romantic evening of sorts. I save my points for date night in and I make a full fat and calorie recipe without changing a thing. And, we open a bottle of wine.

Last week's date night featured Penne Pumpkin Pasta and a bottle of Chianti. I also made a green salad with a basic vinaigrette. The pasta was great. The sage and the pumpkin was an awesome marriage of flavors and the chicken broth added an extra layer without being chicken-y tasting. And surprisingly the cinnamon and nutmeg weren't overwhelming. I used a 100% whole wheat penne, but I would definitely do a whole wheat blend or even use regular pasta. The 100% whole wheat was too "crunchy" almost. I guess crunchy implies that it was undercooked, but it wasn't that kind of crunchy. Maybe chewy? I'm not sure how to describe it other than to say it probably wasn't the best choice on my part.

Otherwise I will be making it again. It's actually mostly Core. You'd really only have to count points for the cream if you didn't use regular parm. Of course, you could use FF parm, but I'm against it, so I spent the points to make it worthwhile. YUM.

No comments: