Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Glazed Pork Chops

Glazed Pork Chops with Smashed Potatoes and Stewed Green Beans

It's been pork central in my household lately, I suppose. First it was ham and now pork chops.

Eh, I guess it doesn't matter much. Pork is delicious. This recipe came with not one, but two side dishes. I love it when magazines and cookbooks suggest sides to pair with the main course. I'm such a doofus when it comes to planning a full menu. And boring, too.

It helps me get out of my Midwestern upbringing rut. Meat with a starchy side and a veggie. I don't really think out of the box. Usually it's rice or potato.. maybe pasta or couscous.

OK. You've got me this time, though. This is a starchy side and veggie combo. BUT these green beans aren't just any green beans. They're stewed. With celery, onion, and tomatoes. Much fancier than my usual steamed green beans with Smart Balance spread.

The potatoes were just smashed potatoes, but the garlic really made them something a little more special for some reason. They were my favorite part of the meal. The green beans were better the next day, surprisingly, and the pork I could take or leave. The glaze just didn't do much for me.

In this recipe I cut the butter in half and used skim milk instead of whole. The result, 10 points per serving with the chops, green beans and potatoes.

What's your favorite way to do pork chops?

No comments: