Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Why blog?

I was lurking on a food-related message board yesterday afternoon and came across a thread on food blogs. People were discussing whether it was just a passing craze of if some people were in it for the long haul. Not every blog gets a ton of hits and most don't get paid to do it, so why blog?

I created a food blog to combine two of my passions in life. Writing and food. I'm a professional writer and I love food. My love for food in all of its forms is what brought me to WW in the first place. I love food a little too much and it didn't really love me back. Or more accurately, it picked a fight with my pants. And of course, my pants won because, above all, I'd like them fit. Muffin tops are so 10 years ago.

The other reason? To maybe show some that being on a "diet" doesn't have to mean 100-calorie packs, light bread, fat-free cheese, and products with artificial sweeteners. I saw one poster on the WW boards say that dieting isn't exciting and that boring is OK. I beg to differ. I constantly challenge myself to recreate old favorites, change up my menus, and experiment with new vegetables. WW is about learning a better way to eat for life. So if you lose by eating boring foods, you'll just gain the weight back when you start incorporating "exciting" foods again. Every meal should be delicious and fulfilling. Because no matter how you try to ignore it, food is more than fuel and always will be. It should as good tasting as it is good for you.

And as for trying new veggies — I tried my hand at Curried Squash and Apple Soup. Although super easy (it's a slow cooker recipe), the flavor seems slightly off. And I put too much curry in it. Maybe it's not that the flavor is so much off as it is that I might not be a fan of butternut squash in general. I made a pasta dish with it a couple of years ago and I didn't really care for that either.

No comments: