Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ratatouille with Egg

Ratatouille with Egg

This has been a strange week. Sunday, we lost power for more than 24 hours. Hurricane-force winds from Ike actually made it to Ohio and knocked over tons of trees and power lines. Apparently more than a million people were without power.

I was lucky to have power back by 8 p.m. on Monday. Many are still without power. I still lost the entire contents of my fridge and freezer, which is so aggravating because I had *just* gone to the store. Fortunately, I have a backlog of meals to share, so there hasn't been any blogging downtime.

I didn't think anyone would be interested in our steady diet of takeout and grilled hot dogs while our power was out (sometimes it sucks to have an all electric apartment!). But it got me to thinking, maybe readers want to know the good, the bad, and the just plain ugly. Would you be interested in seeing a day-in-the-life entry once and a while? Something like Kath Eats Real Food, Eat Like Me, or The Kim Challenge — where I chronicle a day's worth of meals?

I couldn't do it often because that kind of blogging takes more time than I have to spend.. but it might be a good occasional feature. Send me some feedback.

Anyhow, on to the ratatouille. I can't say I was particularly impressed. This wasn't anything spectacular, but it is a good use of summer's produce and fairly simple to put together. And, I got to make an over easy egg. I'm so pleased I found some simple instructions. I always managed to ruin it before. Now, why didn't I think of using a lid?

And even though I made only half the recipe, it still made a ton. I ended up freezer some.. which I then promptly lost due to the power outage. Such is life, I guess. But the best part is this meal is extremely point friendly. It's great for those days where you lack points to spend and veggie servings. I cut the oil down to 4 tsp, so a serving without the egg is only 2 points. I added the egg, though, and a hunk of whole grain bread to make it even more filling.

No comments: