Friday, June 1, 2007

Perfect potatoes on the Silpat

I'm not sure why I didn't think of it sooner, but the Silpat makes perfect roasted potatoes. Usually, no matter how much oil I use, the potatoes always stick to the pan and leave a horrendous mess. Last night I suggested we try using my Silpat (which I use religiously for cookies.. such as the giant, and I mean GIANT sugar cookies I also made last night). It was the greatest idea ever. As you can see, they are perfectly browned, but not burnt, and no potato mess to clean up. Yay!

The potatoes were red skinned potatoes tossed with evoo and s&p, then roasted at 400° for 40 minutes. Then, they are tossed with minced garlic and roasted for 5 more minutes. As a finished touch, tossed with an herb vinaigrette. The recipe is called Roasted Potatoes with Herb Vinaigrette. Go figure.

The steak was a flank steak that was butterflied and filled with thawed frozen spinach mixed with asiago cheese, balsamic vinagar, red pepper flakes, capers, and s&p. You roll it up, tie it with kitchen twine (toothpicks not recommended. Oops.) and then broiled for 8-10 minutes. When done, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. The recipe was just OK. I find flank steak tough and stringy.

No comments: