Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Asian-style chicken thighs


When I get a chance to catch Healthy Appetite on the Food Network, I try to watch. Most of her recipes are fairly good and easy to prepare. Plus, she includes nutritional information for every one of her recipes. While I don't mind tweaking the oil, butter, cheese, etc. in a recipe, it's nice to find recipes (outside of Cooking Light) that are delicious and need no calorie cutting. In fact, her hot chocolate recipe, which I posted about in January, is one of my favorites. I usually do a variation that doesn't involve the ginger that her original recipe calls for. It's good with the ginger, but I rarely have it on hand.

Last night I made a couple of recipes from her homemade takeout episode. Teriyaki Chicken Thighs and Soba Noodle-Vegetable Salad. I will note that I cheated and used a whole wheat blend pasta instead of Soba. The grocery store was out. I noticed them at the health food store and almost picked them up, but thought, "Nah, I'll just get them at Meijer. They'll probably be cheaper." But ever since the store remodeled, certain ethnic food items disappeared, specifically the Goya spice blend I use in my red beans and rice.

Anyhow, both the chicken and the noodle salad were good, and the noodle salad got even better overnight in the fridge. I believe the dinner is 9 pts. per serving. Which isn't bad. I consider that a reasonable dinner. As far as being homemade takeout—not so much. There's just something about cheap Chinese takeout that you can't recreate at home.

No comments: