Friday, June 8, 2007

A winter meal in the middle of summer


A couple of months ago, I had DBF buy lamb shanks for the purpose of braising them in my dutch oven. I got it for christmas, and aside from a couple of soups, I really have yet to break it in. I thought a nice braise would be a perfect way to test out that cast-iron beauty. Keep in mind, it was still 30° outside. DBF was supposed to add the ingredients to the pot, toss it in the oven, and do homework until I got home to finish up the meal. But he got wrapped up in his homework and forgot to even come over to my apartment. He didn't show up until I got home, and at 8 p.m., it was too late to start a braise.

So, the shanks have sat in my freezer for at least 3 months and were starting to look freezer burn-y. We had a cool snap of 70° weather, so I put it all in my slow cooker and used the recipe for Braised Lamb Shanks with Garlic and Rosemary. DBF really liked it, but I thought it was just OK. I've never had lamb, so maybe it was just because shanks are a very fatty meat. Or, maybe because we were eating wintery comfort food in June. Who knows.

No comments: