Monday, May 3, 2010

Turkey Taco Salad and a 5K

Turkey Taco Salad

Tonight I accomplished something I have never done before. I jogged a 5K outside without walking.

Sure, I've done a 5K on a treadmill a bunch of times -- on a completely flat surface with the treadmill helping me keep pace and not burn out too early.

But tonight I finished it with hills AND by pacing myself. I think it helped to reverse my route so the hills were in the middle/end rather than in the beginning. I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but when I ran it with the hills in beginning I was pooped by the time I made it up and down the hills. The rest of the run was just harder.

This way I got to start slow and end with a downhill-ish sprint. Much better!

Then, I came home to make a Turkey Taco Salad. The key to this salad is the right salsa. There's no other seasoning other than salt and pepper so if you pick a salsa that's just OK that's what you'll end up with -- a salad that's just OK.

Good thing I lurve the salsa verde I have in the fridge. I've been dunking chips in it all week. :)

The salad had tons of veggies, too. Zucchini, red pepper, romaine lettuce, onion and tomatoes. Plus a sprinkling of sharp cheddar and tortilla chips and extra salsa verde. YUM!

I realize the fat/calories might seem high for some people. You can definitely make it leaner by choosing a low fat cheese, choosing a baked chip, and or using ground turkey breast instead of the 93/7 I used. Full nutritional info is below.

Nutritional info: 450 calories, 25 grams fat, 7 grams fiber

No comments: