Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tex-Mex Sweet Potato

Tex-Mex Sweet Potato

I am ridiculously tired today. I went to a online video seminar this morning but picked up my coworker on my way because I wasn't really sure where the heck I was going. The seminar started at 8 a.m. so I picked up my coworker at 7:15 a.m. I went to bed SUPER early last night but it didn't help much. My body is normally waking up at 7 a.m. — not showered and on its way to work.

The seminar wasn't even that helpful. Also good that I ate before I left. The only breakfast options at the seminar were fruit, giant bagels and McD's breakfast sandwiches. In my tiredness I would've caved and ate a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit, which is my absolute favorite.

Looking forward to my awesome leftovers was maybe the only thing keeping me awake this morning. Last night's tex mex sweet potato was really good. Not sure exactly why. It just was.

Tex-Mex Sweet Potato
Adapted from Cooking Light's Fresh Food Fast

2 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained (approx. half a can
3/4 cup frozen corn
3/4 cup salsa, preferrably fresh (I used Garden Fresh Gourmet's Jack's Special: Medium)
1/4 cup extra sharp cheddar
Fresh cilantro for garnish

Poke the sweet potatoes all over with a fork and microwave on high for 10 minutes total. After the first five minutes, turn the potatoes over and rearrange.

Meanwhile, heat a skillet coated in cooking spray over medium high heat. Add on onions through chili powder and cook until softened, about three minutes. Add beans, corn and salsa; bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer until heated through. Adjust seasoning if necessary.

When potatoes are done, split them and top each with 1/2 the bean mixture, 1/2 the cheese and some cilantro to taste.

Serves 2.

Nutritional info: 378 calories, 6 grams fat, 14 grams fiber

No comments: