Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Taking help from the store

Broccoli Soup

I like to make things from scratch as much as possible. For the most part, meals just taste better that way. Plus, I like know exactly what went into my dinner.

But last night I cheated. Just a bit.

I made Broccoli Cheddar Soup from a bag. A bag of Creamy Potato Soup to be exact.

I've made this a couple of times before a few years ago after my mom had her back surgery and I was temporarily living at home while I was waiting for a one-bedroom apartment to open up in my complex. She requested a broccoli cheese soup and this just seemed easiest.

And it is.

Last time I made it, I used half chicken broth and stirred the cheese in first. I was even lazier this time. I used only water and added broccoli in at the same time I added the contents of the bag. At the end I stirred in a little bit of cheese and pureed it so I didn't have big chunks of broccoli. The broccoli was whatever bunches they sell at the store, the entire package. I cut of the stems and just chopped up the florets. I used about a cup of shredded cheddar. It wasn't very cheesy though.

It also ended up being the perfect choice for leftovers for today's lunch. It's so rainy, cold and yuck that the soup really hit the spot.

Nutritional info (Makes 8 servings of about a cup each.. ignore the grams on the NI): 259 calories, 9 grams of fat, 5 grams fiber

No comments: