Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

The table

My sister survived her first official Thanksgiving. I pretty much stayed out of the kitchen. If there's one thing I've learned through the years, it's when my mom's trying to cook, you have to stay out of her way. And my sister isn't any different.

Plus, I'm just not "neat" enough to be in her kitchen. I'll admit it, I'm a bit of a messy cook and being in her kitchen was just too much pressure!

While the turkey was in the roaster, she laid out some "appetizers." Not fancy, but we're not a fancy food kind of family. It was perfect munching food, though!

Cheese and Crackers
Cheese and crackers


Gaucamole
Chips and guacamole

Meanwhile, my parents' dog waited paitently in the next room waiting to hear "oh shit.." It's her signal that someone dropped food. If you're in the kitchen and yell it she'll come running and then search for food on the floor.

Hannah
Hannah

Before we knew it, it was time to eat!

Spinach Salad
Spinach salad from a kit -- I tossed it.. my only contribution

Dinner plate
My plate: roll with butter, mashed potatoes, stuffing, carrots and turkey

The stuffing is my grandma's recipe that, unfortunately, we weren't able to learn from her before she got Alzheimers. We found her recipe, but as with all of her often-made recipes, they usually strayed from what was written. Plus, we don't even have baking instructions -- just a list of ingredients. I think it was closest it's ever been to what I remember her making.

And the carrots? It's the ONLY vegetable everyone could agree on. I'm not a huge fan of broccoli, my brother-in-law doesn't like green beans, my dad won't eat asparagus, and my mom won't eat brussels. She also turned her nose up sauteed or creamed spinach. She's not a huge fan of carrots, either, but took one for the team.

After dinner, we Wii bowled until our dinner had settled, then we dug into dessert: pumpkin pie. I didn't take a picture, but it was delicious as always!

Best part, I beat my brother-in-law at Wii for the first time ever. It's a once in a lifetime kind of feat. I had to get evidence of because it's likely to never happen again. The proof? The very next game I "bowled" a 204 and he beat with with a score of 250. Oh well, there's always the one time, right?

I won!

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

thats so funny about the dog! Sounds like you had a nice holiday!