Sunday, November 8, 2009

Gnocchi with Sausage, Chard and Sundried Tomatoes

Gnocchi with Sausage, Chard and Sundried Tomatoes

There was a run on butternut squash, apparently. I didn't pick up at Meijer because Aldi had it the past few weeks. Why pay more if you don't have to? Well, Aldi didn't have any. Even Kroger was COMPLETELY out. I even asked them to check the back.

So, my plan to make a braised chicken dish was foiled. I ended up pulling together a dish with sweet italian turkey sausage and chard/spinach combo and sundried tomatoes. I used this dish as inspiration, changing it slightly.

Not bad! I liked the chard better than the spinach, but overall, a pretty tasty meal. Not bad for a dinner on the fly.

In other news, I FINALLY ordered a digital SLR. I have wanted this camera for approximately two years but could never justify the cost. My point and shoot is at least 5 years old and is on its last legs and I have been tossing around the idea of replacing it. I broke down and ordered the DSLR because my sister's wedding is this coming weekend and she's not having an actual photographer. I'm in the wedding party so I can't be taking tons of photos, but I figured she'd like a few quality images to print. Plus, well, I really wanted that camera. Should be here by Wednesday, but I'm secretly hoping it will be early.

Anyhow.. off to enjoy the beautiful Indian summer weather. Hoping it's this nice on Friday for my little sis's wedding! That would be fantastic.

Gnocchi with Sausage, Chard and Sundried Tomatoes
Serves 2

1 link Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
Swiss chard, tough stems removed, leaves roughly chopped (I used about 3/4 a bunch)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup or so sundried tomatoes (plump dried ones in water or use jarred)
1/2 package dried gnocchi
Parmesan cheese for topping

Heat a medium skillet coated in cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add turkey sausage and cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks.

Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add gnocchi, cooking according to package directions. Drain, reserving a 1/2 cup or so of the cooking water.

When the sausage is done, remove from the pan and set aside. Add a bit of oil if necessary before adding the chard and minced garlic. Cook until garlic is soft and chard is wilted.

Add the turkey sausage back to the pan with the sundried tomatoes and the gnocchi. Add a little of the reserved cooking liquid as necessary to pull together the sauce, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Top with parmesan, if desired.

No comments: