Friday, November 20, 2009

Crockpot Brats and Sauerkraut

Brats and Sauerkraut

Have you ever had one of those days where the moment you get out of bed things just seem "off" and all you really want to do is crawl back under the covers? Of course you have.

Today was one of those days for me. It was like my head was detached from my body all day long. I absolutely was not with it at all.

First, getting out of the door was a monumental challenge of epic proportions. And I'm not even making that up. My alarm went off and all I can remember was thinking "what is that freaking noise and why won't it go away?" Then I must've figured out how to turn it off while I was still mostly asleep.

So, I was late. And while stumbling around trying to make breakfast I realized I was out of my 7 grain hot cereal. Bummer. When I finally did make it out the door I forgot my badge. Normally, I'd just say "screw it" and face the humiliation of wearing an "associate" sticker all day long but I really wanted to workout @ work and I needed my badge to get in the locker room.

I finally make it to my parents and realize I left my lunch sack with the other 1/2 of my breakfast, lunch and a snack on the counter at home. Boo.

Then I get to work and realize I mispacked my gym bag and didn't have my face wash or deodorant, so working out and then going back up to work would be one stinky and unpleasant situation. D'oh.

All I kept thinking was that I better not have had a power surge/outage like the last time I tried using my Crockpot. Otherwise I might just lose it. Luckily, something finally went my way and dinner was on the table with ZERO effort. Love it!

There's no recipe to this dish — it's just one of those meals I remember eating a lot of growing up. It's definitely no fuss. Step one: throw brats in Crockpot. Step two: cover brats with sauerkraut. Step three: Turn on the Crockpot. Voila.

My slow cooker always burns the edges of stuff, so unfortunately it wasn't quite the brats of my childhood. But it wasn't so bad. Maybe I just need to add some liquid. On the side I had some sauteed spinach for a little something green on the plate. It was a simple comforting meal after an off day.

No comments: