Sunday, July 26, 2009

Chicken Ragout with Garlic Bread

Chicken Ragout
Chicken Ragout

I've had a pretty low-key weekend. And despite my best efforts to reset my body's sleep clock, it's 11 p.m. and I'm still wide awake.

Saturday started off early — at 6 a.m. I was determined to wake up when I would wake up for work so I can put my body back on a sane sleeping schedule. I've had insomnia for two weeks since I had that weird conference call for work at 3 a.m.

I had my first cup of coffee in hand by 6:30 on Saturday, but as soon as I finished it I fell back to sleep. Oops. At 7 a.m. I woke up, had my second cup and a bowl Kashi GoLEAN with the nearly past their prime berries and soy milk. Then I wasted the day way checking e-mail, blogs, and making my grocery list.

GoLEAN with berries
Kashi GoLEAN

Then I was on my way to Costco to renew my membership and buy a few things when I decided to make a pit stop at the mall to look for cute invitations for my sister's bridal shower. I should have just gone straight to Costco, because I was caught in a torrential downpour back out to my car was was soaked through my clothes even though I had umbrella. I ended up heading home to change before going to Costco even thought it was right across the street. Kind of insane to go home and change, but I was soaked and uncomfortable.

I realized I was hungry, so I tried this bar. It was just OK. The fruit bit was a weird texture for me. Might be something I would have to get used to.

Kashi Granola bar

Dinner was a recreation of this quesadilla, but in an omelet. I've mentioned how I'm omelet impaired, and honestly, I still screwed it up. I overfilled it I think. More successful than usual, though. The potatoes were a spin on these hash browns, except with sweet potatoes. They were just eh. They were drier but yet mushier than the original. I vote for sticking with regular potatoes on this one.

Mushroom and Spinach Omelet with Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Omelet with mushrooms, spinach, red onion and pepper jack with sweet potato has browns

Today was mostly snacky as I cleaned like a mad woman, but I finished up my chores in time for this Chicken Ragu. It tasted fine, but it wasn't anything earth shattering. And a little soupier than I would have wanted. I think a tomato sauce might have been better. But then it might not have been a ragout? The garlic bread was much better than I expected, but I crushed the garlic up some with salt to make a paste. Next time I'll mix the oil and garlic together before adding it to the bread. Not bad for a low cal version. I still like my full fat version better, but who wouldn't?

I'm off to bed now, hopefully to get some sleep. Do you get insomnia? How do you handle it?

Chicken Ragout with Garlic Bread
Serves 4. Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine

1 pound chicken breast, cut into pieces
1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
salt and pepper
thyme and oregano
12 oz. loaf multi-grain baguette
4 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 400.

Warm a large skillet coated in cooking spray over medium heat. Cook until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes or so. Add mushrooms, zucchini, and onion and tomatoes to the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until chicken is browned and the vegetables start to soften, 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and oregano to taste and throw a lid on it. Let simmer over medium-low about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, split the loaf horizontally, but don't cut all the way through. Spread the inside part of the loaf with the garlic and oil, close up the loaf and wrap in foil. Bake in the oven for 8-9 minutes while the ragout finishes cooking.

No comments: