Monday, July 13, 2009

Wheat Berry Salad with Goat Cheese

Wheat Berry Salad

I am constantly amazed how many people still think the only way to achieve a steady weight loss is to reduce the carbs you eat in a day. Unless you're diabetic and otherwise directed to do so, I wouldn't see why someone would feel the need to.

Going by what they preach in the Weight Watchers materials, no where does it say to reduce your carb intake. And the Food Pyramid even outlines the health benefits of whole grains including many nutrients, including dietary fiber, several B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and folate), and minerals including iron magnesium and selenium. I guess B6 vitamins play a key role in metabolism by helping the body release energy from protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

I don't know about anyone else, but I want to help my metabolism along any way I can. I'm not a huge fan most forms of exercise, so if I can torch calories while not exercising I'm all over that.

I personally prefer to take a balanced approach close to the Simply Filling plan. I get most of my carbs from "good" carbs — whole grains and starchy vegetables over white pasta, rice, and bread. And I don't usually have the same whole grain twice in one day.. I like to mix things up.

Today I had brown rice with my lunch and dinner was the Wheat Berry Salad with Goat Cheese. And, for some extra crunch, a few crackers on the side. My version had red onion because I didn't have green onion, but otherwise I followed the recipe.

It has the basic flavors of tabbouleh but added goat cheese and used wheat berries rather than bulgur. I was heartier, but very similar in flavor. I thought it wouldn't be filling, but it was. Probably from the overdose of fiber.

Plus today wasn't a very hungry day. I skipped my morning snack and will probably pass on half of what I had planned for tonight. I did make muffins for a coworker's birthday, though, which means I sampled a little of the batter. I had to make sure I wasn't feeding them something gross, of course.

I'll share the recipe tomorrow — these are definitely worth the calories and always a bit hit.

No comments: