Sunday, July 19, 2009

Roasted Beet Salad

Roasted Beet Salad with Oranges
Roasted beet salad

What's up with this weather in the Midwest? I've heard this is the coldest July in history, and I can believe it. Yesterday morning, er, afternoon by the time I woke up, was so cold I was actually wearing a sweatshirt while I had my windows open.

Funny how just a few days ago I was saying it was too hot for oatmeal and now it's cold enough I'm craving it again. This bowl was made with water then topped with soy milk, agave nectar, cinnamon, peaches and blueberries.

Oats with Peaches and Blueberry
Oatmeal with summer fruit

For dinner I finished off the beets with this roasted beet salad. To make it a main dish salad I added grilled chicken. The only other change I made was using a salad greens mix instead of arugula because that's what I had. Overall, it wasn't bad. Not sure I'll make it again, but it was a good use of the beets. It would definitely be tastier as a starter rather than a main dish, but it was too labor intensive for an every day meal.

Looking back on my food intake today it's pretty scattered — starting off with a cold weather dish and finishing off with a cool salad. Ha. I had weird dreams all last night and felt "off" today in general.. so I think my scattered food choices and even this post reflect that.

I'm off to bed. Hopefully I'll sleep better than I did last night!

No comments: