Sunday, July 12, 2009

Beef Stir Fry with Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans

Beef Stir Fry with Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans

I'm feeling much, much better today thankfully. I was able to finish up the rest of my errands and get some housework done. I still took it easy, but wasn't sitting around like I was yesterday. I should be back to 100 percent tomorrow.

Last week I was looking through the magazine rack at the grocery store and I saw a new issue of Clean Eating magazine. I think I bought an issue last year but never actually made anything out of it. But a stir fry with beef, sweet potatoes and green beans caught my eye in this new issue so I bought it.

I'm not sure I buy the "eating clean" thing. I checked the Eat Clean Diet book from the library and I'm not sold on it. I think that some of the ideas are good — fill up on whole grains, fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy and lean protein with plenty of good fats. It also suggest you avoid added sugars, saturated fats, trans fats, white flour and alcohol. What it doesn't seem to leave much room for are treats or the occasional food that's not "clean." It just feels too strict.

I also thought some of the recipes in the book and the magazine seemed plain and thought it would lack flavor, but I was pleasantly surprised with the beef stir fry. It was actually delicious. I used sirloin, the marinade actually made a little gravy that coated the vegetables.

Beef Stir Fry with Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans
Serves 4. Adapted from Eating Clean Magazine

1 pound top sirloin steak, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, crushed
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup green beans
4 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Combine sirloin, applesauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and red pepper in a small bowl.

Bring three cups of water to a boil and add sweet potatoes. Cook sweet potatoes for 2 minutes, then add the green beans to the pot. Boil 4 minutes. Drain and set to the side.

Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high to high heat (my burner runs hot so medium high was enough for me). Add the beef and onions and salt and pepper to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes until onion is tender and beef is cooked. Add the reserved potatoes and green beans, cook about 1 minute until warmed through. Serve alone or with brown rice.

No comments: