Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tomato, Corn and Avocado Salad

Tomato, Corn and Avocado Salad

I've been eating a lot of grape tomatoes and corn lately. In fact, I had tomatoes and corn with my salmon last weekend. What I made a couple night, though, was a cold corn and tomato salad with avocado.

I love avocados even more than corn and tomatoes. I could seriously slice up an avocado and eat it plain. Or even on a slice of toast. Here, it pairs really nicely with corn, tomatoes, scallions, and lime juice. It calls for a whole tablespoon of oil, but if you've had your oil for the day or on Flex and looking to save a few points here or there (as long as you do get in your 2 tsp each day), you could easily cut back a bit on the oil and not miss a thing. The avocados have a natural oilness to them that make up for less liquid oil.

Tonight I made them with the BBQ chicken thighs I made last summer. The sauce came out different than I remember it being, but still good enough to want to eat it by the spoonful. It's not Core, but a worthy use of WPA in my opinion. It does have bottled BBQ sauce in it, but when you're done putting everything else in it, it won't taste anything like the bottled stuff.

Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad
Kernels from one ear of corn
2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 avocado, diced
1 tbsp canola or safflower oil
coarse salt and ground pepper, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Serve at room temperature.

Nurtional Info (for the salad): 157 calories, 10.9 grams of fat, 5.4 grams of fiber
(for the BBQ sauce): 165 calories, 0 of grams fat, 2 grams of fiber

No comments: