Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Beef Kabobs with Tabbouleh Salad

Beef Kabobs with Tabbouleh Salad

In July, the boyfriend and I are celebrating our two-year anniversary. Technically, if you ask him, we have two anniversaries. In my opinion our first date was in July when we went to the Ohio wine festival. It was just the two of us, so I considered that a date.

In his mind, we weren't dating until August when he formally asked if I would like to go out on a date. I didn't think the word "date" needed to be specifically uttered, but I guess he needed that to be said.

Anyhow, the night he officially asked me out on a date I made him dinner for the first time. Because it was nearly August, I wanted it to be something summery, light, and healthful. I didn't want to get the beached whale syndrome -- you know, when you lie on the couch, stuffed to the point of being unable to move and moaning in discomfort? That kind of thing is a romance killer.

So I made beef kebabs with tabbouleh salad. I chose a fairly nice cut of meat so the dish was sort of special without being overly fussy. And on the advice of my wine-loving friend, we had a bottle of zinfandel. For dessert, I made nectarine sundaes with blackberry syrup.

Last week, I decided to make the dish again for the first time. As the boyfriend was shoveling food into his mouth he paused. "This was the first thing you made for me, wasn't it?"

It was great to know he remembered.

Beef Kebabs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 pounds beef tenderloin, sirloin, or top round, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice

Combine salt, coriander, cumin, ground red pepper and black pepper and sprinkle over the beef. Toss well to coat.

Combine the red bell pepper, zucchini and red onion, 2 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp fresh lemon juice. Toss to coat.

Thread beef and vegetables, alternating the two, onto skewers (presoak the wooden ones in water). Broil 10 minutes, or until done, turning half way through.

Nutritional Info (for the kebabs): 338 calories, 16 grams of fat, 2 grams of fiber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh boys... sometimes they're so sweet.

Notice the sometimes.

The kabobs look great, and apparently they're quite memorable! I'll have to try them.