Friday, June 13, 2008

Frittata with Mushrooms and Fontina

Frittata with Mushrooms and Fontina

When looking for recipe ideas, I look through a lot of websites and magazines. I found a frittata similar to this one in Food & Wine. I find the magazine interesting, but my only critique is there are few affordable, everyday recipes.

Some call for pricey cuts of meat, others for oddball ingredients you wonder if you'll ever possibly use again. For the average home cook or for one a budget like me, the recipes just aren't realistic. I for one, will not find mortadella at my local Meijer.

But the Chanterelle and Fontina Frittata looked promising. Chanterelle mushrooms are very good, but can be costly, especially considering I've only found them at Whole Foods. So I swapped them for cremini mushrooms. I also tried dried tarragon, but it really needs to be fresh. I also cut WAY back on the oil. If using a nonstick pan, there's no need to use that much. I used 4 tsp divided and the frittata came out of the pan just fine.

It was pretty good and certainly simple enough. And by stopping at Trader Joe's, I saved some money on the fontina. If you don't want to shell out the money for fontina you could try subsituting mozzarella or provolone. Really any cheese that melts well will work, but fontina has a slightly-nutty flavor you won't get with any of those swaps.

On the Flex plan and want to make it even lighter? Try swapping 8 whole eggs for 4 whole eggs and 6 egg whites.

Nutritional Info (with whole eggs and 4 tsp oil): 250 calories, 19 grams fat, 1 gram fiber

No comments: