Monday, June 30, 2008

Southwestern Corn Chowder

Southwestern Corn Chowder

Last week was a busy week. Core went by the wayside and I hardly had time to pull a meal together. There was lots of takeout last week. But I'm excited to get back to cooking and back to Core.

Saturday I managed a homecooked meal, at least. The southwestern corn chowder from Everyday Food wasn't Core, but could possibly be made Core. The only issue with it is the milk. Fat free milk just doesn't cut it in creamy soups. I've heard of people using fat free evaporated milk, but I'm not sure that would work in this case. If anyone tries it, you'll have to let me know. I'd love to make this again but not have to count points for it.

Because I knew fat free milk would probably not give the soup the right consistency, I used half and half. I didn't want to spend money for a half gallon of milk that may or may not go to waste and I need a touch of cream for a fish recipe later in the week. So half and half was the compromise. It worked like a charm.

All of the ingredients are already in my pantry and it comes together in a snap. Served with a mixed greens salad with oil and vinegar and a few baked tortillas chips, it was great simple meal. It was especially a welcome choice after a long day of errands.

Nutritional info (with half and half): 472 calories, 21 grams fat, 6 grams fiber

No comments: