Thursday, June 12, 2008

Chicken, Peach and Red Onion Skewers

Peach, Chicken, and Red Onion Skewers

This isn't the most flattering photo out there, but you get the idea. And despite what it may look like, they were actually pretty good and fairly simple to make. The idea came from Rachael Ray's kabobs with chicken and plums. Unfortunately, when I went to the store for plums, they didn't have any. They did, however, have a ton of peaches.

So peaches is what I went with. I pretty much made the recipe as is and spent the points because I had them. To make it closer to Core you'd need to cut back on the oil and count points for the jam. You might try replacing some of the oil with chicken broth, as you need liquid to marinade in and boil down for a glaze later.

Now that I think of it though, it did call for apricot jam on plums, so I might have been able to get away with using a plum jam on it with the peaches. Hmm. I'll have to try that later. And yes, I do have plum jam in the refridgerator. You won't find strawberry, but you'll find blackberry, apricot and plum. I'm a bit of an oddball like that.

I also made the couscous with sliced almonds. Always a good choice, in my opinion.

Chicken, Peach and Red Onion Skewers
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup apricot jam
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, quartered
8 peaches (about 2 pounds), quartered lengthwise
1 red onion, quartered lengthwise and halved crosswise
One 10-ounce box plain instant couscous
2 cups low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Whisk together the canola oil, jam, vinegar and soy sauce in a medium bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Transfer the marinated chicken to a bowl. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, boil for 2 minutes, then let cool.

Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium. Thread the chicken, plums and onion onto 8 skewers. Grill the kebabs, turning occasionally and basting frequently with the marinade during the first 6 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.

While the chicken is cooking, bring 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Stir in the couscous, cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork, add the almonds and toss. Serve the couscous alongside the kebabs.


Nutritional Info: coming soon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love grilled food...though I havent had a lot of grilled fruit! That sounds like such a yummy mix. Grilled onions can be so delicious when they get all warm and sweet! And oh my gosh! Your shrimp from the previous post looks to die for!!