Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What I do with leftover veggies...


Besides making an "everything but the kitchen sink" salad, I'll turn leftover odds and ends into a tuna salad sandwich. Tuna salad is one of those things that tastes good with whatever you choose to put in it. I grew up on tuna salad that consisted of mayo, canned tuna, and sweet relish. And a lot of the time, that's how I make it.

When I went to throw it together yesterday, though, I decided to do something different. I had a lot of leftover carrots, celery, a cucumber, and some green onions languishing in the fridge just waiting to spoil. Although I have a boyfriend, he doesn't live with me and rarely is around through the week to eat at my apartment. So, for the most part, my cooking is cooking for one. When I buy a whole bag of carrots, some typically goes to waste. Sure, I can buy single carrots at Kroger, etc. But those are generally more expensive than the entire bag. Not per ounce, just more expensive overall. Sometimes it's a better deal, but in case of the carrots, it's not.

So anyhow, this week's tuna salad is all of the leftover veggies (about a 1/4 cup of each) plus 2 cans of chunk light tuna in water, and enough light mayo to make it creamy. This week's bread is Arnold's 100% whole wheat dutch country bread because it was on special.

No comments: