Monday, July 30, 2007

Ham, Mozzarella, and Spinach Panini

Ham, Mozzarella, and Spinach Panini

I got the idea for this sandwich from an Everyday Food issue. Martha's version was on french bread with fresh mozzarella. That would have been better. Hands down. Except, it took 20 minutes in the oven. I didn't have that kind of time for lunch.

So, it's 2 oz. of part-skim mozarella cheese on 100% whole wheat bread with 2 oz. of deli ham and about 1/2 cup spinach. I cooked it in a small frying pan and weighted it down with a glass pie plate and a pyrex liquid measure to flatten it. And cooked over medium heat until nicely browned on both sides and the cheese had melted. I put cheese close to the bread on both sides to keep the toppings securely in the middle. I liked it, but didn't love it. If I make it again, I'll make it Martha's way and make sure my ham is low sodium. Blech. Too much salt.

I served it with this:

Grape Tomato Salad
2 pints grape tomatoes
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tsp fresh lemon juice or vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper

Whisk together oil, lemon juice, and mustard. Toss with tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: