Thursday, July 19, 2007

These aren't the beets from my childhood


I loved beets when I was little. I remember eating them straight from the can at my grandmother's house. It seems like an odd food for a child to like. I hated peanut butter, but hell, I'd eat canned beets. Somewhere along the line my tastes changed. I learned to love peanut butter and my love for beets turned to disgust. I still can't eat canned beets.

But like a lot of other veggies (green beans especially), I absolutely adore the fresh version, but can't stomach the canned version. So, this weekend I saw some beets at the farmer's market and decided to take the plunge. My first attempt at beet greens didn't pan out. I was afraid the beets would be as terrible as the greens.

A good thing to do with vegetables you aren't so sure about is to make risotto. Hello, creamy carbs.. what's not to like? You can add just about anything to rice and I'll eat it happily. Rachael Ray's Beet Risotto with Roasted Asparagus and Ricotta Salata looked easy enough. If you cut the oil down to 2 tbsp instead of 6 (yikes!) it's 9 pts per serving according to nutritiondata.com.

My only complaint? That the beets were still a bit on the crunchy side. I think that would be easily cured by roasting them ahead of time. But if she had written the recipe that way, it wouldn't exactly be her signature "30 minute" meal. Although as written, it still took me longer than 30 minutes. Risotto has always been more like a 45 minute meal for me.

No comments: