Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Look before you leap...er, EAT!


I learned a lesson with last night's dinner. Always, and I mean, ALWAYS, look up the nutritional info or the points value before eating. It's easy to think, "This doesn't sound point-laden" when, in fact, it'll make you wish you never put it in your mouth — no matter how delicious it was.

OK. That's a lie. I love food too much to wish I had never put something in my mouth. With the exception of the macaroni and cheese I made. That was not so good. Gross, actually. Oh well.

You'd think after more than five years of attempting to lose or maintain, I would be the perfect WWer. Well, I'm not. Far from it actually. I happily lapped up the creamy polenta with sweet corn and the Spice-Rubbed Chicken Breasts with Lemon-Shallot Sauce oblivious to the points. I cut the oil drastically, and well, quick-cooking polenta cooking in half milk/half water and finished with butter and cooked sweet corn is low in points? Right?

Not so much! A mere 14 points later (not counting the beet greens I spit out.. even I don't like everything!) I was done with my meal and passed out on the couch from the exhaustion of the day, only to wake up, eat two hershey dark chocolate sticks (they're so small!) and then wolf down two cups of fresh pineapple while talking to the boyfriend before bed. All in all, I consumed 45 points yesterday. Oops! I plenty of flex, but honestly, tomorrow's date night and while I'll make better than usual choices, I'm not going to fret over points. Life's too short and it's been a long time since the boyfriend and I got some QT alone.

Next time I make this dish I'll eat half the polenta and cut the oil even more.

No comments: