Thursday, July 26, 2007

Steak Salad with Creamy Ranch Dressing

Steak Salad with Creamy Ranch Dressing

I don't eat a lot of red meat. It's not that I think there's anything inherently bad for you. You just have to choose the right cuts. Understandably, they aren't always the best testing. The rule for red meat is more fat = more flavor. Well for any meat really. The best part of a chicken is the dark meat and the skin, in my opinion. Both are fattier.

The reasons are that lean red meat is expensive. My chicken costs me $2 a pound roughly, extra lean ground beef is $3.50. Another reason is because I didn't grow up eating it. My sister hated all red meat except for steak. So we ate nothing but chicken. We never asked what was for dinner because we always knew the answer: chicken breast.

Now that I'm cooking for myself I try to eat a better variety of foods, but sometimes I still find myself defaulting to chicken. Last night, though, I made steak. Steak Salads with Creamy Ranch Dressing to be exact. It's nothing all that fancy. Most of it was prepacked (salad, grape tomatoes, ranch dressing) but the steak was given a dry rub treatment and cooked on a grill pan. It would have been better on the grill, but I don't think the apartment management would agree with me grilling in my living room. The rub is good in general, although, if you decide not put the steak on a salad, I'd cut back on the red pepper.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mhm lecker...

bye Manu