Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Crunchy Garlic Chicken with Honey-Glazed Carrots

Crunchy Garlic Chicken

Surprisingly enough, I didn't grow up eating unhealthy foods. At least compared to most of my peers. (Ever seen Honey We're Killing the Kids on TLC?) My mom's favorite when I was in high school was Betty Crocker's Healthy New Choices cookbook. She cooked from it so often that I requested the Crunchy Garlic Chicken and Honey-Glazed Carrots for my birthday dinner on my 19th birthday. I was only a month into my freshman year of college and I was already sick of the butter-laden, fried, greasy soaked food I was being served in the dining halls.

I used to love this chicken so much that when I moved into my first apartment, my mom bought me this cookbook as a housewarming gift. I wouldn't say many of the recipes are fantastic. They actually look kind of gross. But this one works. It's a newer take on breaded baked chicken and the cornflake crust is much more flavorful than just plain breadcrumbs. Even now, this is one of my favorite ways to bread chicken. The carrots, by the way, are practically the only way I'll eat them cooked. I could eat an entire bag of baby carrots this way. Seriously.

Crunchy Garlic Chicken
Makes 6 servings
6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3 tablespoons of trans fat free margarine
1 tablespoon skim milk
1 tablespoon of fresh chives or parsley
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cup cornflakes, crushed (1 cup)*
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425°. Spray baking pan with cooking spray.

Mix margarine, milk, chives, salt and garlic powder together in a bowl. Dip chicken in the margarine mixture and then dredge in cornflake mixture until lightly coated.

Place chicken in the pan and coat with cooking spray. Bake 20-25 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink when the centers of the thickest pieces are cut.

*Note: You can buy cornflake crumbs in the aisle with the bread crumbs. Makes things so much easier.

Nutritional info per serving: 220 calories, 9 grams of fat, 0 grams of fiber

Honey-Glazed Carrots
Makes 6 servings
1 16-ounce bag of baby carrots
2 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon of trans fat free margarine
Ground nutmeg

Place carrots in a steamer basket set over boiling water in a 2-quart saucepan. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender.

Add honey and margarine to the carrots stir until the margarine is melted. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Nutritional info per serving: 70 calories, 2 grams of fat, 2 grams of fiber

No comments: