Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I laugh in the face of E. coli

A few weeks ago I went to Sam's Club and bought more meat and seafood than I can ever hope to consume in my lifetime. I am now the proud owner of 3 pounds of flank steak, 2 pounds of raw shrimp, 2 pounds of scallops, and 6.5 pounds of individually frozen chicken breast (boneless and skinless of course). That my friends and neighbors, is a lot of meat. My freezer is overflowing. Every time I open it I duck to avoid the frozen block of tofu falling from the top of the heap and quickly push the steak back in to its proper resting place. As an unmarried gal living on my own, my freezer is full of random items that I can't seem to consume a whole package of. Half a loaf of bread, some tortillas, leftover homemade chicken stock, half a block of tofu, 1/4 of a bag of peas.

I'm so frustrated with the freezer and totally afraid that one day that chicken hind quarter is going to knock me out cold and I'll by lying unconscious on my kitchen floor for days and no one will know, that I have made it my life's mission to find recipes to cook this stuff.

So last night I cracked open the gigantic bag o' shrimp and made Orange Ginger Shrimp Skewers. I had brown rice with it, and because I'm not frightened in the least by gastrointestinal distress related to E. coli — I sauteed spinach in olive oil and garlic to go with it. It's good, but it'd be better on the grill rather than a grill pan. Unfortunately I don't own a grill, and I think they would frown upon setting up a hibachi in my living room.


No comments: