Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A disclaimer about this blog...

I feel as though I should provide a disclaimer. It's apparent from the Core Tip Exchange that there is a lot of disagreement over the new Core snack rule. Generally, I haven't been following it. So, if I were to post my menu in future posts, please keep that in mind.

I don't believe that everyone should disregard the rules. I just feel that I have a handle on snacking. It's quite possible that what I'm really doing falls under the mini-meal rule, but I don't think a bowl of soup, a salad, and an apple qualifies as a mini meal. But I do know that I can't just nibble on fruit, popcorn and milk in the afternoon. For one, I don't like to be hungry every two hours. And there are plenty of nutritionists, and reputable ones at that, who say if you won't be eating again for more than two hours, it's a good idea to have something more substantial. So, I generally have yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit to tie me over. I eat lunch between noon and 1 p.m., have a snack between 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. and then eat dinner between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. on most nights.

And after 5 years on WW and sustaining a 30 pound loss, I feel as though I understand what a snack is and is not.

Plus, sometimes WW is wrong. Yes, Core is a sensible way of learning to eat better. But should it be the ONLY nutritional advice we seek? Probably not. WW is a good plan, but isn't infallible. I know that I'm staying in my calorie limit and that folks, is what weight loss is all about. Not the foods you eat and don't eat. It's calories in vs. calories out.

End of disclaimer. Ha. So now on to my feast this week: Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs served with brown rice and sugar snap peas tossed in 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil. The chicken, by my calculations should be 2 pts. by the Core plan. The NI info is, of course, on the recipe if you are counting on the Flex plan. The chicken is super easy, and really, really good. I highly recommend it. Yum!

No comments: