Thursday, October 29, 2009

Butternut Squash Quesadillas

Butternut Squash Quesadilla

Tomorrow I'm working in my pajamas. It's a work from home day. I'm so ridiculously excited I can't even describe.

But let me attempt. Reasons I love working from home:

  • I can actually "make" lunch — not just reheat. I did this all the time when I lived 2 miles from work and I miss it.
  • I can be comfortable. Hello sofa and fuzzy slippers.
  • No commute. I'm up at 7 a.m. so I can be done earlier than normal. YESSS!
  • I don't have to risk getting my coworkers' germs. The dude in the cube across the aisle was out most of the week with the flu, but he was back today — hacking up a lung. (Hand sanitizer and extra disinfectant wipes for my cube are definitely on my grocery list this week!)

The day should be uneventful, even quieter than today. I'm so glad my job isn't stressful every day of the week. It may not always be this way, though, so I should definitely enjoy it while I can. My boss is super laid back and isn't so bad to work for, so hopefully even though they're reorganizing my area I'll still be working for him. In two jobs, I haven't ever worked for a micro-manager, and I don't think I want to.

Tonight's dinner was, um, lazy. And junk food. So I won't talk about that. Just know that I'm not perfect and while I generally tend to think natural = better, sometimes chemical-laden pre-packed convienient junk food is really, really good. I just can't help myself.

So, instead of taking a photo of something not picture-worthy, I'll share a meal from a couple of weeks ago: Squash Quesadillas. Truthfully, I'm not sure I like squash. I want to like it, but sometimes I just don't.

I've heard you should introduce your kids to a new food at least 10 times before you give up. I guess it could take that long for them to develop at taste for it? Anyhow, I fully subscribe to that. There's all kinds of things I wouldn't eat as a kid: raw tomatoes, broccoli, peanut butter!?!, and the list goes on. Point is, I eat all of these things now because I didn't give up. I kept trying them until I found a way I like them.

Butternut squash is no different. I've tried:

And now, in Squash Quesdillas. I won't lie, I was unsure about this recipe. It didn't get fantastic reviews and it was really simple.. maybe too simple. But I had tons of leftover squash and I had to do something with it.

I was completely surprised. These were deliciousness. It now makes three squash recipes I like. Five more recipes to go before I can "official" decide if I like squash.

Now it's your turn to 'fess up. What's your favorite "junk" food?

No comments: