Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Zucchini-Cheddar Soup

Zucchini-Cheddar Soup

Speaking of recipes that use up odds and ends, I bring you... green soup. Zucchini-Cheddar Soup, to be exact.

It doesn't look all that appetizing, but it wasn't so bad. The recipe came from the Eating Well Diet book, which I actually like a lot. Every once and a while I check these diet books out of the library just for some ideas. Food magazines and other cookbooks are great for finding lunch and dinner recipes, but when I'm looking for simple weekday breakfasts and snack ideas, some of these books have great real food suggestions. I get bored easily and need to switch things up. I frequently browse the Weight Watchers' community for ideas, but they are either snack ideas I've already tried or they rely on heavily processed foods I generally try to avoid or at least keep to a minimum.

Anyhow, I had two large zucchini in the back of my fridge from a risotto recipe last week. Not sure why I bought the 3-pack from Aldi, but I did. And since they were pushing a week old, I decided I'd better do something with them. This recipe seemed interesting and I had most of the ingredients on hand.

At first, the zucchini seemed a bit overpowering, but it really grew on me and was surprising filling for a pureed soup. Reminded me a bit of the golden winter soup I made a few months back. If I used potatoes in this next time it would be even tastier — although not as low-calorie. Only change I made was using dried marjoram instead of fresh tarragon or dill. I didn't even have the dried versions of these.

I might make this again, especially if I have zucchini that need eaten. But I think I'll try adding some pureed potatoes in next time.

1 comment:

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

Ive never had zuchinni soup.. what an interesting idea!