Monday, October 27, 2008

Stuffing-Topped Chicken with Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Stuffing-Topped Chicken Thighs

A cold front is coming in today, I think. And I've been craving comfort food. Eating Well's Stuffing-Topped Chicken Thighs combines Turkey Day favorites like stuffing and gravy in a skillet casserole. On the side, I made Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes.

I loved the chicken and stuffing. It came together quickly and tasted a lot more fattening that it really was. And it would be easy to modify based on what you have on hand. Don't have chicken thighs? Use boneless/skinless chicken or even turkey cutlet or tenderloin cut up. Don't have shallots? Use some onion instead. I made one swap. Instead of country white bread I had whole wheat so I used that instead. I'm always looking for ways to use whole grains.

It's definitely something I'll make more often.

The mashed sweet potatoes, on the other hand.. I'm torn. The weren't at all what I was expecting, but they weren't bad. They were more like a sweet potato puree rather than mashed. I ended up using a little too much chicken broth. What I liked about them was that they weren't sweet.

I always thought I hated sweet potatoes because the only ones I'd ever had were the canned yams with marshmallows at my grandma's house. Blech. Now, I crave sweet potatoes.

Overall, a pretty tasty meal.

No comments: