Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Two-Cheese Tortilla Pizza



Part of being successful on Weight Watchers is learning what foods are your trigger foods, or foods you have trouble controlling yourself around. Pizza is mine.

If I have one slice, I'll end up eating four. I love pizza. LOVE IT. I've tried find alternatives, but it hasn't been easy. I've made low fat pizzas with homemade dough. They're great, but I still end up eating 4 slices. Better than full-fat pizza, but still not good.

I've tried making them with English muffins. Those didn't even taste like a pizza. I also tried pitas, but they just weren't that great. Frozen light pizzas offer portion control your choices are limited. Most have cheese, pepperoni, or a combination pizza. What if I want mushrooms, green peppers and tomatoes? Plus, the toppings are skimpy.

So when I saw a recipe using a tortilla I hoped this would be the answer. I could customize it, it tastes almost like a pizza, and it's built in portion control. In theory it would work. But I was disappointed with the particular recipe. Not a fan of the canned tomatoes. I would definitely go with fresh tomatoes or regular old pizza sauce. But the tortilla idea -- I liked it. I'll have to do it again sometime.

Two-Cheese Tortilla Pizza with Arugula Salad
4 whole-wheat tortillas (8-inch)
3 tsp olive oil
2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes drained
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
1 oz. percorino romano, shaved with a vegetable peeler
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved length wise
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
kosher salt and ground black pepper
2 bunches arugala, torn
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set racks to upper third and lower third of the oven. Place tortillas on two baking sheets brushed with a teaspoon of oil. Top each of the tortillas with the tomatoes, cheeses, olives, and red pepper flakes. Bake until tortilla is brown and crisp, 13 to 15 minutes, rotating half way through cooking time.

While the pizzas are cooking, whisk together the vinegar, remaining 2 tsp oil, and salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Once the pizzas are done baking, toss the arugala with the vinaigrette and top pizzas with torn basil.

Nutritional Info: 310 calories/13.9 grams of fat/3.3 grams of fiber

No comments: