Sunday, March 30, 2008

Chicken with Wild Mushrooms and Balsamic Cream Sauce


Sometimes I like meals that feel indulgent, yet fit into my daily points. In my opinion, anything made with cream feels indulgent. It's an ingredient I used to cook a lot with, but don't so much anymore. And without a light recipe written for me, I'm lost trying to make a creamy dish lighter. Most of the time, you can't just use skim milk, and fat free half and half is not a substitute for half and half when you're actually cooking with it.

I saw Chicken and Wild Mushrooms with Balsamic Cream Sauce on a 30-minute meals, and thought, I must make that. Turns out, it's more point friendly than I thought. The only change I had to make was to cut the oil down to 2 tsp for cooking the chicken rather than 2 tbsp. And I used half and half instead of cream -- considering they gave you a choice.

I served it over mashed potatoes, although, the NI I'll include has the pasta as the recipe is written.

It was fantastic. I loved it. It tasted like it was a fattening, rich dish, but at the same time, it didn't cost me a whole lot of points. I will definitely make this again.

Nutritional Info: 472 calories/12 grams of fat/4 grams of fiber

No comments: