Wednesday, May 30, 2007

One budget-friendly meal

I'm on tight budget until I get all of my debt paid off. And, I'm working like a dog to do it. Last night, they announced that I am employee of the month at job #2. The reason people said I got it was because I am a workaholic. While that may be true (I can hardly remember a time when I didn't have more than one job.. I think it was for about 3 months in 2005), I'm doing it now so I can live debt-free. And by the end of the summer, I will be. I won't even owe my mom money. Then I have to save for a down payment on my next leased vehicle.. then hopefully a down payment on my first home, because I really hate renting.

So every now and again, I'm a sucker for a cheap meal. Pre-WW a cheap meal would have been ramen, ravioli in a can, or even the dollar menu at any fast food joint. Now, I have to be a bit more creative. But not really, because I totally stole this meal idea from someone else.

As I said yesterday, I think it came from the back of a Goya can. It's just a green pepper, a medium onion, and garlic sauteed in EVOO. Then I add a can of kidney beans, a regular-sized can of tomato sauce, and some diced tomatoes that have been drained. Then I simmer away with the lid on until it thickens up because I don't like mine runny. It's better with white rice and adding smoked sausage, but I didn't feel like counting points for it. This time I used a variety of chili powders to season, but usually I buy these little Goya packets. Only Meijer didn't have them this time.

No comments: