Monday, February 26, 2007

You Can't Always Count on Leftovers

You can't always rely on other people. I learned that last night. And, it's particularly bad to rely on other people to cook a meal for you, especially if you really needed those leftovers for later in the week.

Last night was supposed to be braised lamb shanks over polenta. DBF promised to brown the meat, saute the veggies and toss it in the oven. He was supposed to come over around 6 p.m., do his homework at my apartment and let the braise do it's thing for a couple of hours while I had to be at work. I was home around 8:30 p.m. and thought it would be nice to have a sit down meal, considering I work 68.5 hours this week. Doesn't exactly lend itself to spending quality time with him.

But, alas, he worked on the homework at home and forgot to come make dinner. So I got home to no food, and more importantly no leftovers for the week. I have already blown the food budget for the week, so buying more food isn't an option. So it's time to eat random things from the fridge for a couple of days.


Lunch was Healthy Choice Country Vegetable Soup and a romaine salad. Dinner (which was supposed to be leftovers) will be what I was planning for lunch: sloppy joes. I found some potatoes so I may even make some oven fries. It's my night off so I have time to cook. Not sure what I'll do for tomorrow's dinner. Maybe eat sloppy joes twice in one day? I have to work and won't have time to make dinner or even pick it up from a fast food place.

So, lesson learned: If you want something done, you'll have to do it yourself. Delegating doesn't work.

No comments: