Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Blech.. Frozen Meals

Today's Menu

I haven't posted in forever! Mostly because I have been working nonstop. Seriously. The only day I've had off since February 1st was Sunday. And all but Saturday were 13 hour days. And as much as I would have liked to cook all my meals for the week on Sunday, I actually wanted to have a bit of free time for a change. And a note on the menu for today, I'm not counting points this week because I've been incredibly busy. But, as you can see, I'm not eating all crazy-like.

But to catch on the pictures..er.. picture.. here's the Barley Risotto with Carrots and Red Pepper. It has been adapted from Bon Appetit. I cut the oil severely and ran it through WW's recipe builder as having four servings. In reality, it's either 3/4 servings (if you want it to make 4) or 1.5 cup servings if you just make two servings out of it. I made it as a main, so I split it into two servings. The Points® value was 4 pts. per serving (if making two). I would say it was good, but not fantastic. A make again for a night where I don't want to spend a whole lot of points on a meal that fills me up.



On Sunday I made Monterey Jack, Corn, and Roasted Red Pepper Risotto and Chipotle-Lime Roasted Chicken (just the chicken not all the veggies with it in the recipe). I didn't find the chicken to be very chipotle OR lime. Maybe I just didn't have enough on it. I LOVED the risotto though. Fantastic.

Finally, last night after work I made a Orzo-Ricotta Bake from Vegetarian Times magazine. I'm not a fan. But yet, it's better for me than the frozen meals that I've been eating (I despise them, really) and it even TASTES better than some of them. But it's not worth a photo.

I'll be in Florida visiting a friend Friday through Sunday, so I'll resume cooking on Monday. I plan to make my own stock for the first time and use the cooked chicken and stock to make Brunswick Stew with Smoked Paprika. I made it last year and really liked it. Plus my dutch oven doesn't get as much use as I would like it to. I plan to also try making dinner rolls from scratch (with the kneading help of my trusted breadmaker). I'll probably also make up some WW recipe sloppy joes for lunches next week.

No comments: