Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Sloppy Joes are, well, sloppy

I'm not taking a picture of the sloppy joes because it is messy and unattractive. Moreso than my other food. And, I ended up wearing them today. Dropped a big ol' pile right on my lap. I'll probably have to go home and change before job #2. I can hide in my office here.. but not at my other job. Unfortunately I'm in public.

Because there is no picture I'll post the recipe. I adapted it slightly from the WW recipe. I've decided to kind of switch to CORE® because I've been taking an all or nothing attitude, and I already eat mostly CORE, so why not give it a try for a while. Less counting involved.

My Mostly CORE Sloppy Joes
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 medium green bell pepper chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
1 package of ground turkey
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 a small can of tomato paste
1 tbsp dijon mustard

Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat.

Add onion, celery and bell pepper and sauté until tender, 3 minutes. Add turkey and sauté until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks, 5 minutes. Add chili powder, basil, salt, black pepper and cayenne; stir to coat. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and mustard; mix well.

Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.

I served it on an Aunt Millie's whole grain hamburger bun for 2 pts. I also made oven fries by taking a couple of large Idaho potatoes and drizzling them with olive oil and tossing them with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and baking at 425 for 15 minutes. I kicked up the heat to broil and broiled to get them crispy.. about 10 minutes. But watch them to make sure they don't burn.

Tomorrow I might make pasta for myself. Who knows. No more Sloppy Joes for two meals, though!

1 comment:

Caren said...

Hi Jen, I found your blog via the OP Chain Gang. I love it, and hope you take it as a compliment if I rip off your idea & post pix of food on my blog: Fit Club Journal