Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Balsamic-Rosemary Vinaigrette

Chicken Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

I don't know what it is about Wednesdays. After dinner all I want to do is lie down and go to sleep. And today's no different. It's like I hit a wall or something. Tomorrow I'm leaving early from work because my family bought tickets to the circus.

It could be lame, but you know, I haven't been to the circus in ages. The last time I went I was maybe 10 and I couldn't see anything because I needed glasses. I didn't know it at the time, of course. I just remember my sister pointing out some vendor walking up and down the stands on the opposite side of the arena and I couldn't see the person — looked like a sea of blobs from my viewpoint. I thought she was crazy, especially since she was claiming this guy looked like Santa. My sister would have been 6 or 7 years old at the time, so these were matters of great importance. Santa selling cotton candy at the circus was a huge deal and the fact she saw him, well, that's something to brag about. I probably told her to stop making things up.

Last night I met an old friend to play arcade games. I'm pretty terrible at video games. I never really got into them. So when I beat someone who's as in to them as my friend is, well, it's time to gloat.

I didn't have much time to make dinner last night. I was late getting out of work, traffic was bad, and I didn't leave myself enough time cook. I managed to heat up the grill, cook some chicken I had put out, and make a salad inspired by this dish. It had the main components of the actual recipe — grape tomatoes, goat cheese, pecans, spinach. But the rest I kind of just tossed in just because. I also made the Balsamic-Rosemary Vinaigrette.

That was one of the best parts of the entire salad. I love making my own salad dressings. They come together quickly and taste better than most of the bottled varieties. Plus, with a basic pantry, I can make a different vinaigrette for every salad. Whatever the mood strikes me. And when I make my own, I know I'm hitting Weight Watcher's healthy oil requirement because I know how much oil I'm getting per serving. If you make a standard vinaigrette you have to watch the serving size because they're caloric, but if you choose a strong one like the balsamic one, a little goes a long way.

It was a pretty good salad and a great meal for a warm, sunny spring evening.

1 comment:

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

I am so trying this dressing! When I was on extended work trip this past fall, I would get a salad from the grocery store that had a rosemary vinaigrette pretty often. I really got it just for the dressing. I asked, but the sadly didn't sell it by the bottle. If this is similar (which it looks like it is!) you'll be my new bff.