Thursday, August 14, 2008

Garden Tomato and Basil Pesto Pizza

Pesto Pizza

Right now, I’m finding very difficult to stay on track. One night this week, I found myself digging in to leftover and munching on them cold while I was in the process of making dinner. And this was after I had raw veggies dipped in white bean dip and a whole-grain granola bar.

What the heck is my problem?

I’m up to my highest weight ever and for some reason getting back on track seems overwhelming. It’s as though I can only get my act together when something is going wrong in my life. Last time I was at my goal weight it was because I spent 5 days a week in the gym post break-up with a guy I dated for more than a year.

Now I’m in a stable, loving relationship, generally like my job, occasionally see my friends, and I even love my apartment.

I like to blame it on my eating schedule: Breakfast around 8:30, lunch at noon, and dinner around 7-ish. Six hours is a really long time to go without food, and even though I try to eat a snack in between, I get over hungry and find myself continually munching from the time I get home at 5:30 until when the boyfriend finally gets home at 6:45.

I’m in need of a snacking intervention. So, I’m making a mid-year’s resolution — to tackle the small stuff first. In a way I already have. I’ve stopped snacking on fake sugary yogurts and swapped for nonfat plain yogurt, and I’m now regularly taking vitamins (children’s chewables.. they are not as tasty as I remember them). And I must be doing something right for my body. The boyfriend has brought home several viruses (one persistent cough and the flu) from the kiddies at the daycare he works at and I haven’t yet gotten sick (knock on wood).

But in order to get back to my healthy weight I need to do more. So here’s the plan:
  • Get some sort of activity for at least 30 minutes, three times a week. I’m starting small. Don’t judge.

  • Cut back on the booze. I’m not a boozer and I can’t remember the last time I was actually drunk. A beer a night may not be unhealthy (supposedly women can have a drink a day without harming our health), it’s certainly not helping me lose any weight.

  • Continue the healthy snacks and vitamins.
Anyways, in honor of my favorite nightly beverage, I’m offering up beer’s best buddy — pizza. I posted about this pizza before, but this time I made it with homemade pesto and a homemade whole wheat crust. I’m not including the dough recipe because it’s not worth making again. Need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful looking pizza! And I loved the creative idea - to use the pesto on a pizza bianca.