Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Chicken Parmesan

Chicken Parmesan

I'm not a huge fan of most fried foods. They've always been an occaisonal type of food for me, even at my heaviest. I've always been more likely to indulge in a pint of my favorite ice cream rather than a plate of fried chicken.

And most of the time, if I'm going to make comfort food, like macaroni and cheese, I'll just save the points and make the real deal rather than trying to make a low fat version. But because I'm not a big fan of fried foods in the first place, I actually like lighter versions of chicken parmesan.

When you order it at a restaurant the chicken is usually fried, topped in sauce and tons of cheese. But, this version is much less fattening and even incorporates whole grains. First, you make your own bread crumbs from whole wheat bread. Instead of using the recipe's instructions, though, I toasted the bread in the toaster and then ran it through the food processor. And instead of buying marinara, I used my favorite homemade marinara. I always keep it on hand in the freezer for quick meals.

Hands down, this is the best low fat chicken parmesan recipe I've tried. The crust stays crispy and there's plenty of gooey cheese on top. Perfect.

No comments: