Friday, August 15, 2008

Pasta with Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans

Pasta with Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans

When someone has good news and bad news to share, which do you prefer to hear first? I always choose good news first. So first, the good news.. I'm well on my way to my goal of three workouts a week.

The bad news, this isn't the healthiest meal on the block. Good news again -- it's a tasty one. Although the pesto doesn't make it a low calorie or even a low fat meal, it's mostly healthy fats. So it's not that bad for you. Or at least it's not the worst thing you can eat. It's not a deep-fried twinkie. See? I can justify any splurge.

Plus, I couldn't let good pesto go to waste. A true dieter would say -- better to go to waste than my waist. Bah. When it's just two of you, you have to repurpose ingredients otherwise you're just hemorraging money.

So I made the Pasta with Pesto, Potatoes and Green Beans. And served it with an arugala salad with red onion and a simple balsamic vinaigrette -- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, salt, pepper, and a 1/2 tsp of dijon mustard. Just enough vinagrette to dress four salads.

And given that this meal was pre-resolutions.. we had a nice big glass of white wine.

No comments: