Friday, April 20, 2007

Sickness sucks

The title might not be creative, but it is fitting — being sick sucks. I haven't cooked much this week, or followed any kind of healthy eating plan because I ran a fever between 99 and 100 for three days. Yesterday was my first day back to work. And I am so far behind, I could cry. Usually, I'm behind because I'm a lazy procrastinator. But at least this month I'm behind for legit reasons. I was sick enough to not even bother getting off the couch to warm a can of soup. Not that I buy canned soups. Instead, I ate an entire box of Saltines. Yum. Sometimes, I smeared peanut butter on them.

Last night I did make a marinara sauce with portabello mushrooms and made a mixed greens salad with a light vinaigrette. I call it my, 'quick eat everything in the fridge before it spoils' meal. It was depressing to see some of my vegetables had already bit the dust. I hate wasting good money like that. But, what can a gal do when the only food within reach of the couch was peanut butter, saltines, and a jug of Gatorade? Not a whole lot. I'm a big baby when I'm sick. I'm not afraid to admit that.

Before I came down with the 36-hour flu, I made a couple of meals.



Spicy scallops and rice with bacon and peas from the William's Sonoma healthy cooking cookbook.


Lemon roasted chicken in my brand new, 6-quart Crock-Pot, balsamic roasted asparagus, and yes, that's Uncle Ben's wild rice. I worked an 8 1/2 hour day on my feet, and I was coming down with the flu. Can't expect much. Sometimes, the stuff from the box isn't bad. I'm human. Take a look at the steam coming off the plate, though. Can't create that stuff on Photoshop.

Tomorrow I'll post the recipes for the chicken and the scallops.

No comments: