Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Whole Wheat Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes

I found this photo of blueberry pancakes floating around in my Flickr photostream and I realized I never shared these. It's a shame, too, because these were really good!

Probably one of the better blueberry pancakes I've made so far.. and I've made a lot. I've made buttermilk oatmeal blueberry pancakes, blueberry buttermilk pancakes, and way back in 2007 I made regular old blueberry pancakes.

I guess by the look of it, it seems like I make a lot of pancakes. That's not really true, though. Most pancake recipes make a zillion servings and it's sometimes hard to halve a recipe if it calls for an odd number of eggs.

So, when I saw Mark Bittman's recipe in How to Cook Everything could be easily split in two, I was in love. Then, I started going wild with the variations and I loved it even more.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Serves 4.
Adapated from How to Cook Everything

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or regular whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon sugar
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon butter for the griddle

Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

In a small bowl, beat together the buttermilk and eggs. Slowly add the mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just enough to combine. There will be a few lumps. Gently stir in the blueberries.

Preheat a griddle pan over medium heat. Put the tablespoon of butter in a paper towel. When the pan is hot, swipe the butter over the pan just to create a thin layer. You could just add the butter to the pan a bit at a time, but you use tons less butter this way.

Drop the batter on the griddle, about a 1/4 cup at a time. Cook until bubbles form and the outer edges appear cooked. Flip and cook until lightly browned. Between each batch, wipe the pan out and add more butter.

You can keep the cooked pancakes warm in a 200° oven for about 30 minutes.

No comments: