Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Staycation Blueberry Pancakes

Blueberry Pancakes

Yesterday started off rough. I woke up at 4 a.m. sweating, with all the covers kicked off, and it was really stuffy in my bedroom. The air conditioning was on because my allergies have been bothering me, so I was really confused. Why was it so freaking hot? And you know that smell when you first turn on the furnace for the first time in the fall? That hot smell? Well, that's what it smelled like.

At first I thought I was dumb and switched on the heat instead of the A/C. That's something I would totally do. It did said it was on cool, but the thermostat also said it was above 85 degrees in the apartment even though it was set to 85. To make matters worse, hot air was blowing from my vents. Ugh. The A/C broke and because it was so hot, I couldn't fall back to sleep.

Luckily, maintenance fixed it yesterday while I was at work, but work was torture for my sleep deprived body. The good thing about being up so early, though, was that I got a yoga workout in. I guess when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.

I wanted to get another workout in after work, but I was way too tired. Instead, I grilled up the hamburgers I put out in the morning. I wanted something I could grill without having to turn the stove or oven on — since I wasn't sure when they'd be able to fix my A/C.

Hamburger

It's nothing out of the ordinary.. just a burger with lettuce, ketchup, mustard and pickle relish. Just the way I like them. I also had a beer, because a.) I had a rough day and b.) I was on VACATION.

I woke up this morning with the sun streaming through my window. It really felt like I was on a vacation instead of just hanging out around town. To celebrate, I made buttermilk oatmeal blueberry pancakes. I used a Weight Watcher's recipe, but I'm not sure why I did. I never have much luck. These were OK, but not something I'd make again. Might be my fault because I only had old-fashioned oats. I ground them up, though, to make up for the fact they weren't quick cooking. It could have affected the outcome, truthfully. But in general, WW recipes don't usually work for me, and it's rare for me to make on of their recipes more than once.

I also altered the recipe by skipping the cherries and low cal syrup, threw blueberries in the batter and topped with real syrup.

Now, I'm off to wash my car and get a workout in. Then, I'm picking up the cupcakes my sister ordered for a tasting (she's having cupcakes at her wedding instead of wedding cake), going with her to meet with the florist, and spending time with my family while she's in town.

Question: Did you take a vacation this year? Where did you go?

1 comment:

Tasty Health Food said...

I didn't really take a vacation, but I moved across the country, so I think that counts! The pancakes look great! Sorry they didn't taste so good though. :X