Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Use it Up: Red Curry Paste

Red Curry Paste

A few weeks back, I bought red curry paste. I can't even remember why.

Now, it's threatening to get lost in the abyss that is my refrigerator. Red curry paste is one of those oddball ingredients you buy to make a single recipe from some magazine/cookbook/website that you can't wait to try.

Then, you forget you have it until a year later you find it in the very back growing some kind of funky mold.

Don't pretend this hasn't happened to you. It may not be red curry paste. It could be any ingredient you buy swearing you'll use it in more than one recipe, but knowing that you'll never get around to using it up before it goes bad.

This time it will be different. In fact, in an effort to use it up I tried Thai-Style Vegetable Curry. It started out with promise.

Local tomatoes

See? With fresh, local tomatoes like these how can anything go wrong?

These were the best tomatoes ever. Seriously. I don't even like raw tomato all that much and I kept popping these beauties in my mouth.

Anyhow, back to my recipe fail. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever made. With double the curry paste and a healthy dash of hot sauce it wasn't inedible. Still, I would like to be able to say something better than, "It wasn't gross." You know?

Thai-Style Vegetable Curry

Even the photo isn't very good. Oh well. You can't win them all.

Any ideas on how to use up my red curry paste? Or, what ingredient do YOU need help using up?

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Spread it on chicken and grill it. Or make a curry sauce by mixing it with some coconut milk. I love curry paste!
Sorry to hear about your recipe fail!